Make no excuses when it comes to throwing a party - with a few simple switches, it is easy to throw an unforgettable bash without disregarding our environment. Here are a few tricks to hosting an eco-friendly party!
Image credit here
- Encourage guests to support a cause in your family's name as opposed to bringing host gifts. At Trees for the Future, a $10 donation equips a family with seeds, tools and the knowledge they need to plant their way out of extreme poverty, while helping the environment at the same time!
- Use decorations to give an organic feel, like natural confetti, luminaries, flowers, and candles.
- Recruit the kids to help inflating balloons... without helium!
- When it comes to serving ware, reduce your impact of the environment by using glass or porcelain serving trays, mason jar cups, and biodegradable cutlery and serving utensils.
- Think local when it comes to food and drinks. Shipping wine from France uses significantly more resources than a visit to your local winery or brewery. For fresh foods, consider a farmers market - you'll find fresh veggies, eggs, meats, and fruits, and you'll be supporting your local economy. Find a local farmer's market in your area by visiting the USDA website.
- Don't waste the extra cranberry sauce! Donate extra un-opened food to local food drives. The Feeding America nationwide network of food banks secures and distributes 4 billion meals each year.
- Ensure the empty wine and beer bottles are recycled, or repurpose them as gifts! There are tons of crafty ideas for up-cycling glass into something useful and unique.
Happy Holidays !